So, one thing that every reader in the world will be able to admit to, is having particular things they do when reading. For some, these habits will be normal things – like refusing to dog-ear pages, but for others, like myself, you will find yourself doing rather odd things when you read. Today, I am here to reveal all those weird, quirky, crazy habits that I get up to when I settle down to read.
- Using Anything As A Bookmark; In all honesty, since blogging and winning a few piles of swag, this has gotten better but sometimes I still manage to find myself without an actual bookmark and it is these times when really anything will do. Mostly I end up using receits or old tickets but I have been known to use an old sweet wrapper before now…
- Reading To The End of A Chapter; This is something that I don’t actually have a chance to do so much anymore due to reading at any spare moment on my phone or because of running out of lunch break time, but I also feel uneasy when I close a book without finishing the current chapter I’m reading. It’s almost like I’m stuck in the book world if I don’t finish it!
- Book Jacket Be Gone!; If I’m reading a hardback book, the very first thing I do before opening the pages is remove the jacket. I simply don’t like reading with it curled around the book – I am mostly worried about the damage but I also don’t like the feel of it so much. Of course, the only exception to this is with library books because taking the jacket off and on again isn’t exactly easy – and I should know as I cover them!
- Music Is Loud; Some people need to read in complete silence, some become so pulled in by the words that it doesn’t matter at all, but for me, I have to listen to music when I read and a lot of the time it also HAS to be loud. Like, I’m going deaf kind of loud. I find that the louder the music, the easier I can ignore it and simply concentrate on the words in the book. Yes, I realise this makes no sense whatsoever.
- Tea!; Not so much a habit as just a love. Reading and drinking tea is something I try to do all the time. I feel relaxed from tea and so adding a book to that equation is just pure genius.
- Simply Stare & Admire; Whether in the bookshop, at work in the library, or standing in my own room, I love to spend a few minutes staring at the shelves and just admiring books in all their glory. The knowledge that these little objects may contain words that will rip my heart to pieces before mending it again is just pure amazing, how could one NOT admire them for this ability? Besides… they’re so pretty.
- Piles, Piles, Piles.; I like to think that I’m one of those really organised people that has all her books on the bookshelf ALL the time. But I’m not. And I probably never will be. Instead I have random piles around the room. Books that have recently arrived. Books I’ve recently finished. Books I wish to read soon. Books I have to read soon (ARCs, etc). Books I’m currently reading. So you know… just a few…
- Notes Are No-No; Some people go pencil crazy in their books with underlines and comments and highlights and questions but I simply cannot stand the pages to be dismayed in this way. It really gets under my skin and so I just refuse to keep pens and pencils near any of my books. If I have a note about a book, it will go in my notebook but never in the book itself. I just can’t stomach it, you know?
- First Chapter Starts; If I get a new book that I’m really looking forward to or just find really interesting, I often find myself sitting there and reading the first chapter straight away. I may not read that book for another few months, if not longer, but I will almost always read that first chapter from the first moment the book is in my hands. I couldn’t answer why I do this, but I do know that it ends up meaning I read an awful lot of books at once… technically
- Sniff. Sniff. Sniff.; Yeap, that’s right, my final “quirk” is that I’m a book sniffer! It’s not just when I recieve a book though, it’s also while I’m reading it. I’ll just suddenly get the urge to pause, will pull the book closer to me and just SNIFF it with all I have. I love that smell of new books, it’s just so… stunning. There really is no better way to describe it.
There we have it. Some very odd reading habits that I have! I bet it was probably more than you ever wanted to know about me but then, why are you following my blog :P. I really enjoyed writing this post and was amused I managed to make it to ten without admitting some of my really awkward habits like changing positions every ten minutes while reading because I’m a fidget bum. I mean *cough*… what?
What are some of your reading habits? Do you share any with me? Or am I just a freak of nature? Let me know all!