St Grizzle’s School for Girls, Ghosts, And Runaway Grannies by Karen McCombie
Today is my spot on the St Grizzle’s School for Girls, Ghosts, And Runaway Grannies blog tour and I am here with a fantastic guest post by the wonderful Karen McCombie! Here’s more info on the book first.
About the Book
To Dani’s surprise, help comes in the form of Granny Viv who has secretly taken up residence in the school’s tree house with Downboy the dog. Together they come up with the perfect ghostly video … but will Granny Viv be able to stay once the competition’s over?
TOP 5 WRITING TIPS WHEN YOU’VE GOT BRAIN-FAIL
by Karen McCombie
Sometimes you’re not so much writing as staring at a computer screen and making low, rumbling, sighing noises without realising. When you DO realise, and figure out that you’re stuck on your current writing project, here are my tips for re-booting your creativity.
• Re-read an old favourite book: But this time, analyse why it’s so fab. Then let its general fab-ness inspire you to get back on with your own stuff.
• Time yourself: You have an hour. You are going to write a complete mini-story in 200 words. GO!
• Come up with a killer first line: Don’t think about anything except this first line, and once you’ve got it down, start writing and see where your meandering mind takes you.
• Come up with a killer last line: The opposite of meandering – when you have a great last line nailed, you next need to plot and plan how to get to drive your story there.
• Go for an hour-long walk by yourself: Stare at the scenery and daydream… miraculously, your stalled brain will creak back to life, and ways to solve you writing dilemma will ping, drift or slither into your mind. Success guaranteed or your money back! (Er…)