So a few days ago I submitted my manuscript for the Pitch Wars competition. Now after Christopher posted his Mentee Bio, Dannie Morin set up a blog hop for everyone else who wanted to set up a Mentee Bio as well, and thus here I am. This is just going to be a few things about me so that you can see a little bit more about the person behind the MS.
To start with, I am twenty-three years old, a university graduate, book blogger, book tuber, and library assistant. I live in the UK on the outskirts of London, currently residing in the very house that I grew up in. I write every day – albeit not always on fictional stories – and I always feel happier when my pen is touching paper or my fingers are moving rapidly across the keys. I hope to one day be a successfully published author and work in Publicity in the Publishing Industry.
Ten Reasons I Should Be Your Mentee
1. I have been writing ever since I was little, and even when I wasn’t writing on the page, I was always coming up with fun stories for my friends and family. Throughout my teenage years I wrote every single day, including working on a few collaboration projects. While I have never been published before, I have dedicated my life to honing my skill and making sure I am the best that I can be, but also that my work is the same.
2. I love the editing process. I know that this is a bizarre thing and I realize that I have never been edited by someone within the industry but after getting feedback from critique partners and re-working my novel time and time again, I have come to learn that I truly love editing. I love making it shine and letting it be the best that it can be. I adore not only people looking at my work with fresh eyes, but allowing myself to do the same with their feedback, and being able to use that to work out what would work best for my novel.
3. I’m hard-working and determined. One thing I pride myself on is my ability to push myself when it is absolutely necessary too. I may, on occasion, procrastinate but when it comes to it, I will work as hard as I can to get everything I need to do done. I am always determined to do what is absolutely necessary and to do it with enough time to spare to grab a nice cup of tea.
4. I’m a fighter. Not literally. In the sense that I will always go towards my goal and not give up until I’m there. Yes, I may have a few moments where I’m ready to just throw in the towel but I never do. This has come from various gym goals. Last year I wanted to run for thirty minutes without stopping and I managed it. This year I wanted to lose two stone and I’m nearly there. Next year I want to run six miles, and by golly, I’m going to make it.
5. I’m sensitive but I have a backbone. I’m going to be honest here, sometimes I do get emotional over what people say about my work but after giving myself that little bit of time, I always manage to look at my work differently and to see exactly where the other person is coming from. However, there are also a few things about my novel that I feel really work and I’m not afraid to back my corner on them, but always happy to edit them until they’re perfect and work well. Basically, as much as I adore you, I won’t let you walk over me but as we’re in this together, I’m certain that won’t happen.
now for some funner reasons…
6. I enjoy sarcasm, wit, and banter. I love to laugh – don’t we all? And one of the things that I enjoy most in this world is making sure it’s not serious all the time. Therefore I like to spread laughs as much and often as I can. If you want someone to enjoy this journey with, I might be able to help with that.
7. I have three very adorable cats. This may seem highly irrelevant but I am always willing to fill you in on their movements. Plus, they’re good at cheering me up. And they have taught me about rejection because sometimes, as much as I really want a cuddle, they don’t and will very forcefully tell me so. And they always keep me in good company when I spend hours pouring over my writing.
8. I love Harry Potter, The Hunger Games, How I Met Your Mother, Friends, Bones, Supernatural, and Sherlock. While I’m not up to date with all the tv shows because books and writing always comes first, I enjoy being a fan of these programmes and catching up with them as and when I can. I also enjoyed Buffy, Angel, Roswell, Smallville (until season five), Misfits, Inbetweeners and the first two seasons of Skins.
9. I love music. I love playlists. I love new music. I love music that can change my mood, or give me inspiration, or just fill my brain with something other than my thoughts. I love it so much and listen to it all the time. I love getting new recommendations and am always happy to share recommendations too. Music is as important to me as writing is.
10. I am a team player. And this is a team war. If you love my manuscript and want to help me polish it to help us win, then that is why you should pick me. All other reasons are just fillers. Pick me if you’re passionate about my work, and together we will make it shine and battle hard to win. Because, and this is important, I’m in it, to win it.